Google Duo is the latest app from the Google Play Store and iTunes store that allows you to video chat with anyone else that has the Google Duo app installed. You can quickly use the Google Duo app on your iPhone, Android, or Mac OS X machine to video chat with Android users. Google Duo interface is very similar to that of Apple FaceTime app. Let’s get started installing Google Duo on Mac OS X.
Note: Google Duo is currently available in the iTunes store for iOS mobile devices, however it cannot be installed and used in iTunes or from the App Store in Mac OS X currently.
1. Download Bluestacks for Mac OS X by visiting their website here. Bluestacks allows you to install android apps on your Mac OS X system.
2. Open the DMG file. You will see an image named BlueStacks Installer. Drag the BlueStacks.app to your Applications folder on Mac.
3. Open Bluestacks.app from your Applications folder. You may receive a prompt:
“BlueStacks.app” is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?
4. You will see a Welcome screen. Click Continue to accept the terms.
5. Ensure App Store Access and Application Communications are checked. Click Install.
6. You will be prompted for your Mac OS X password to install new helper tool. Enter your password and select Install Helper.
7. You will see a message Installing BlueStacks then Starting BlueStacks.
8. Once BlueStacks is started, you can go through the first time setups for Accuracy Locations and Access Location.
Note: Wait some time. You will see the Failed to loan channels message until the Appstore completes setup and installations. You will receive a notification when this is completed, similar to below.
9. Once at the home screen, click the search icon. Type in duo then select Search Play for duo.
A One Time Setup prompt will appear. Follow the instructions for Enable AppStore and Enable App Sync. You will need a Google Account (Gmail) in order to download app from the Google Play store.
If you get the infinite Logging in message, just exit out of the sync using the back button and try again.
10. Once the Google Play Store is installed, search for duo again. Click Install.
11. You will receive a prompt to allow Google Duo access information in Bluestacks. Click Accept.
12. After Google Duo is installed, go to the Home screen. Then go to All Apps -> BlueStacks Settings -> Change App Size.
Choose Tablet for Duo.
13. Launch the Google Duo app. You will be required to verify an actual working phone number with Google Duo, so you will need access to a number, even though you won’t be using the phone number on your Mac.
Now you can place and receive calls with fellow Google Duo users! Remember, you will need a microphone and camera to fully utilize Google Duo. By default, BlueStacks will recognize your Mac mic and camera while using the Duo app.
Note: Sometimes, the camera picture can be unaligned or distorted. A simple fix is to hit the back button in bottom left corner (which will momentarily pause a live Duo call and take you to BlueStacks home screen) and then go back into the app.