Workaround Bypass: This update requires a Wi-Fi network connection to download – iOS
The following workarounds should allow you to download app, software, and iOS updates over LTE 3G/4G without requiring a Wi-Fi connection.
Method #1 – Trick iOS Wi-Fi connection
Note: This method requires a Wi-Fi connection briefly to trick your iOS device to thinking it’s connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Connect to any Wi-Fi network. You can connect to a Wi-Fi network the does not have Internet.
- Initiate an iOS update or app update and then immediately disconnect from the Wi-Fi network. Your downloads should continue over LTE cellular. Some users note the iOS software updates do not download (stall) using this method.
Method #2 – iOS Date Trick
Note: This method has not been verified with iOS system updates.
- Prepare to install or update an app from the App store. You receive the “this item is over 150mb” notification. Tap Ok.
- Go to General -> Date & Time.
- Toggle off Set Automatically and choose a date 2 days ahead of time.
- Tap General in the top left to save your date.
- Your app downloads should begin.
Remember to set back your iOS device date & time correctly after you finish your downloads.
Method #3 – Updates via iTunes
- This is the last and unlikable option since most probably want to due updates over LTE. You can always connect your iOS device to iTunes and download the latest updates.