Today, the Internet is saturated with affiliate marketing programs. For those familiar with the term affiliate marketing – the big names come to mind – Amazon Associates, eBay Partner Network, Google AdSense, Click Bank.
Great. But what is affiliate marketing again?
Affiliate marketing is a general term used online in which someone earns a commission ($ money) by marketing a product or service albeit for a business. The product can be physical or virtual. The service can be anything. Think of it as – you kinda work for the business you are selling for, but you’re not an employee – and they are paying you out of pocket for every sale you get them. Maybe if they are nice, whoever you sell to – you can recruit your buyer to sell the same product as you – and earn a part of their commission. That’s known as a referral.
Sound exciting yet?
It’s an amazing formula – truly. But trust us, in your first year of affiliate marketing (if you’re new to it all), you won’t see or earn a single penny. An in your second year, if you’re very lucky, you might get a sale. OK, maybe we stretched the truth a bit – but it’s going to take a considerable amount of time and extraordinary effort for you to believe you will be mediocre at this. Seriously – that’s not stretching the truth either!
So, how do you know which program will earn you passive income weekly? How do you know the best program fit for your website niche? Which program will be most successful for your business
model? Ok, ok. Let’s breathe – and let’s start taking baby steps.
Step One – Get Your Online Presence to Par
To become successful at affiliate marketing, you need your own website property to build and market to others on. As you will learn, a lot of affiliate marketing programs allow you to register and direct your referrals (potential clients and web traffic) to their referral program website. This referral traffic is lost opportunity for you – because you could be converting that traffic on your website through Google AdSense, for instance.
Potentially, you could be driving this traffic to your website, where the visitor(s) view a quick ad (which they might click and that converts to pay you), and are required to signup to your newsletter with their email address, before being directed to your affiliate marketing program. Make sense?
Step Two – Drive Quality Traffic to Your Website
We assume your new website topic (or niche) is general and broad, therefore it will be more difficult to receive organic search traffic from Google, Bing, and Yahoo early on. This is why your social media account handles will be extremely important for blasting your content to your target audiences in the beginning.
First, create 8-10 quality articles around your niche. These articles must follow these guidelines below. Run the articles through Plag Checker just to be sure your content truly passes as “unique” on the Internet.
Article MUST Guidelines
An article title that is NOT already an article title in Google Search!
In the example below, you can see This is a Title is a #1 Google search and an article title for this blog article. You can use a variance of this title – but make sure it’s not being used in Google!
(Another way is to quote “” your search to find exact phrases in Google)
Article length: 900+ words
Articles should include bold, italic, underlined text. See this guide.
Cover photo (Including relevant ALT & Title tags)
At least 1 body photo (Including relevant ALT & Title tags)
Highly formulated meta description. This should be at least 100 characters.
Meta words should exist, but no need to do more than 5 good keywords.
At the end of your article, include a relative link to another article on your website. That link is a dofollow and should open in a new window when clicked.
Step Three – Promote Your Website and Content through Marketing
Your content must stimulate visitors and get them to come back for more. Your website and content creditability will be absolutely important. Start doing the following.
- Create monthly press releases that reach onto Google News. The press releases should include different spun content every time. If you don’t have a press release source, find one at Fiverr.
- Start to post in online forums that you can talk about your content and feature it. Google your niche and see what forums could help you. Your forum handle should be as close to the name of your website domain name. Register an account with the following highly authorative forum websites with an account name of your social media or website.
- CNET is one of the top news sites featuring reviews and commentary from popular bloggers. Register an account and comment 2-3 times on interesting product reviews.
- Inbound.org is the leading Internet Marketers website forum. You can comment on others website content and feature your content by submitting your website article as a post. You will receive a direct link to your website content with a comment – very useful!
- InfoBarrell lets you create content and feature on their site. They offer a dofollow link to your website for the content you post. Your content must be unique that you post here.
- Quora answer a question on this website. Quora has surpassed all websites, including Yahoo Answers, Ask.com, and experts exchange for question and answer content. We recommend answering one question that has not been answered. You can create a question and answer it – or make your own. Many webmasters have found answering a Quora question boosts their website traffic almost 20%!
Step Four – Partner with Top Affiliate Marketing Networks Today
So now your website is generating traffic. You’ve put months into your content and promoting it across your social media networks. Is it the right time to start you affiliate marketing? Let’s review.
Before you start any affiliate marketing programs, we highly suggest you follow these standards.
*Your website is generating at minimum 200 unique visitor’s daily*
*Your website traffic is targeted. You know the demographics of your traffic*
*Your website bounce rate is satisfactory. Having a bounce rate of 90% or more according to Google Analytics is not good for content of 800 words or more. *
Meeting the requirements above will take time. Please, do not proceed unless you have!
Once ready, let’s start the application process to top affiliate networks!
- Google Adsense – by far the easiest affiliate marketing program to quickly start earning money on your website. To apply, you will need a Google (GMAIL) account, provide details of your website, and some personal information. Acceptance varies and supposedly can take months. Once approved, you can immediately start serving ads from thousands of marketers. You earn money from ad impressions and clicks. We have seen clicks earn up to $5 or more.
- ClickBank – Click Bank has made thousands of affiliate markets rich. It’s simple and effective program lets you promote any product from its marketplace – or promote your own product. You can track clicks, orders, and subscriptions. The REAL win is if you refer 2 or 3 customers for subscriptions. You could be earning around $300-$500 a month in 2 referral subscriptions alone.
- Sponsored Tweeting – you can be earning cash for tweeting with your Twitter account. Sponsored Tweets is a great way feature your Twitter account with top marketing brands. You might be contacted to tweet on behalf of a company. You can also link your Blog for paid posts.
- Amazon Associates Program – earn commission from anyone that buys anything on Amazon. It works like this: you share Amazon special “referral” links. These links can be specific products, graphical banners, or social media links. In the end, if anyone clicks your product link, you can earn up to 8% on the final value of the product that is shipped!
Check out our comprehensive list of Types of Affiliate Marketing Websites Earning Money
Affiliate marketing – in our opinion - is the BEST job in the world. It’s easy – you don’t have to work 5 days a week (once you have established your website and built a solid reputation) and you make your own hours. Even in the off hours, you are earning money! The biggest challenge in this career is getting started. We hope this guide can help you start in your affiliate marketing career.
* Please use the comment form below to let us know if you experience issues, have questions, or can provide solution. We want and encourage feedback. *